Tuesday, August 1, 2017

The Adventure Zone

Chances are if you've talked to me much in the past half year or so, I've told you about The Adventure Zone - a Dungeons and Dragons podcast that convinced me to start playing with my friends. I came into the podcast after it had been running for a number of years with around fifty episodes already created, each over an hour long, and it took me a couple of months to catch up with it all. Since then I've been listening to the episodes eagerly as they came out every other week, engrossed in the story of it, which had started as a funny experiment with a character named Taako for shits and giggles.

If you believe in the power of words, in the growth of a story and characters. If you want to become invested in something that can make you laugh and cry and make your skin crawl. If you want to see what it is that I love about writing, and the kind of power I know it can hold and want to be able to wield, you need to listen to The Adventure Zone.

I know this isn't going to reach many people. I'm not some big advertising power. I'm sure as hell not someone who could even conceivably get paid to advertise for them, and that's not something they do anyway. I'm saying this purely because, as I am listening to the latest part, as its story is finally after so long coming slowly to a close, I am being moved. I love its characters. I love its world. I love where it has come from and where it is going. I would give anything to be able to experience it all again anew, because it is worth experiencing. It is so worthwhile to take the time to listen to. Just do it.

I have never seen words used better.

No comments:

Post a Comment